Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My How and Why of language Learning PART 2

I'll be breaking my methods up into two categories "Traditional" and "Modern". To make things less confusing I'll start off with my definitions for those two categories

Traditional: Any methods that use equipment and thinking that has been in regular use for at least the last 20-30 years. This tends to also be how most High-Schools and Universities teach. With a more ridged approach to delivery I.e. that you must start at the beginning and work from there.

Modern: These methods are usually based on the traditional but making use of new mediums and/or formats. I tend to think of this approach as much less rigid and is my preferred way of learning.

Before we get into methods I'll just list my "equipment". The things that I use for every session of Chinese learning.

Traditional: Exercise book, Text Book, Flash Cards (I have bought a few sets from book stores) and blank Flash Cards.

Not really anything surprising there as it's traditional. They way I make flash cards is quite different however and will be covered latter

Modern: A laptop, Mp3 player (with recording), ZDT flashcard/electronic dictionary application and Bittorrent.

You might be able to see why I use the term modern rather than anything else. Everything I use has been around in a different format at some point or another. My laptop gives me the ability to carry pretty much everything I could need for learning any language 10 years ago my traditional equipment would have included things like a dictionary, tapes (or Cd's) AND a player. The reason I count the MP3 as a modern is it's capacity versus size. I can carry hours of content in my pocket with no worries. It wasn't that long ago that all you had wereCd's which you can't fit in your pocket at all (I actually remember listening to German recording on a record as well). I know I carry my laptop with me but that's not even as heavy as a dictionary alone. I mostly Listen to chinesePod on my MP3 player I really enjoy ChinesePod but I see it mostly as a logical evolution rather than a revolution (To be discussed in a latter post).

That's enough of the What now onto the How:

As I work within my less ridged learning structure the first thing i have to ask my self is what do I want to learn today. Answering this question is the hardest thing about using a flexible structure, If I was just following a text book then it's easy I open up to where I was last (or the first page for a new book). The way I answer that question while I was at home in Australia was I thought of something I did during the day then I though could I have done that using Chinese? if the answer is no then I have a subject! Now that i'm in china It's a bit easier as I just need to think "Why is it so hard to talk about why the Bar is so empty tonight?". Sometimes I'll write down these things so I don't forget what I was trying to say that I couldn't say properly.

Now that I've got my topic I'll write down a handful of words in English that relate to that topic and look up what they are in Chinese. This gives me an idea of what I didn't know and if come across a Chinese word I know I think "Really I can use that word! damn that would have made everything so much easier!" Okey from Here I quickly go into traditional mode and start making a few flash cards. As I said my flashcards are a bit different to others instead of just having the word on the front I have at least three phrases with the word that the flash card is for underlined. On the back I have the traditional word definition along with the translations of the phrases. I like to see if there is an idiom using any of the words. I go to http://www.chinese-idiom.com then if I find an idiom I do a google search for it and the word "meaning" to get a definition. I like to make these cards as they give me a bit of practise in writing the words even if I never actually review the card.

Once I've got some vocab going I'll go search ChinesePod to see if I can find a podcast related to the topic, if so I'll give it a listen, If not I'll probably just try and write out my own dialogue for the scenario.

That's my basic learning process I then wait till my girlfriend gets home and practise some stuff on her. Next post will be what I use bittorent for and some of the other learning tricks I use to spice up my routine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to introduce you a link you might add in your learning chinese link collection : www.chinese-tools.com
Enjoy...

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home