Monday, March 05, 2007

Technology as a learning tool:

First an admission. I am addicted to technology! From where I am sitting there are 3 computers including one laptop (all on and doing various things), A Nintendo DS, A MP3 player, a VOIP phone, a mobile phone, a digital camera and HardDrive video camera. Looking at that list I'm quite disappointed that it is so short, as it's only the things I could bring with me to China and a few things I bought here.

With my love of technology I of course actively seek out ways to learn that make the most of it. I read books on my Nintendo DS and could also run flashcards on it though I haven't tried it yet. Of course I listen to lessons and books on the mp3 player. I take pictures of menus and signs so that I can learn the words. I video some of the strange variety shows, though I admit that It is rare that I understand anything of what is said. Of course the two phones are used to communicate in Chinese. The list of things I do on my computers in regard to Chinese learning would be far too long for this post!

So has all this technology helped me learn. Of course! Has it given me a complete solution to learn Chinese? That would be a no. I love going out and walking around it's about the only thing that makes me forget my addiction. Put me in a house with a computer and it's inevitable that I will gravitate towards it unless alcohol is on offer. So what's missing with all this technology? in a word Portability. Even my Nintendo DS isn't as portable as I would like. In my mind the most portable thing has been around for thousands of year. A piece of paper. The problem with paper is the time trade-off, anything to do with paper takes a bit of time to prepare. Space efficiency when you use hand writing is also a drawback. So we come in a circle. All my modern technology has it's draw backs but so does my piece of paper. Combining the two you can reduce the impact these drawbacks have on your learning. I've uploaded a example of my solution (as is the modern fad I'm releasing it while in beta) here. Hope you like it there are 2 formats. I've just applied this to the newbie lesson My keys are missing so give me some feedback on what you think.

Instructions are:
1. Print.
2. Cut around the thick outside border .
3. Cut along the dotted line.
4. fold in half lengthways then fold in half again.

For this to work you need to know ahead of time which lessons you want to do. You could easily carry several of these in your pocket to reduce that problem. The format could also be expanded to larger lessons either by making a 6 or 8 section booklet or duplex printing (double sided).

One note Is that I am never going to try and make this using MS Word ever again! but I think for the beta it will be the easiest to print out for people.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm also learning Chinese and I was rather impressed when I saw a game a friend of mine who lives in Japan had on his Nintendo DS. It's for practising kanjis, it looked awfully usefull. I think the title name is: Zaidanhoujin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kounin: KanKen DS. But I'm not sure if it's that.

However, do you know if there's anything similar for Mandarin? I've been searching a little but couldn't find anything (I cant read Chinese that much). My friend said he thought there was a Chinese versión of the "game" for Japanese people. I'd be looking for an international, Chinese or English version.

再见

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home